ROBERTSDALE, Alabama — The George P. Thames Adult Activity Center in Robertsdale is gearing up for a trip back in time to experience a historic tour of Chattanooga, Tennessee, and Chickamauga, Georgia, complete with lunch on the vintage dining car.
The trip is being planned for Sept. 20-22, but 40 participants are needed to sign up in order to book the trip, said Mary Williams with the Adult Activity Center.
“We still have a few slots available, but we are hoping those will fill up quickly, so you better act now,” Williams said.
The three-day, two-night trip includes round-trip motor coach transportation with two nights deluxe overnight accommodations in Chattanooga with two hot breakfasts and two dinners.
There will be a Tennessee Valley Road Excursion, an approximately 6-hour, 25-minute round-trip to Chickamauga, Georgia, with a guided tour and walking time to explore Chickamauga.
The trip will include a visit to the Chickamauga Depot, Gordon Lee Mansion and Crawfish Springs City Park.
There will also be a visit to the Chattanooga Market for some shopping, a visit to the famed Moonpie General Store and a visit to the Chattanooga bakery.
Cost for the trip is $357 per person, based on double occupancy, which includes all meals, taxes and gratuities and round-trip luggage handling.
For more information and reservations call the Adult Activity Center at 251-947-8973. Trip cancellation protection is available for $38. A $150 deposit is due by July 20 with the balance due by Aug. 20.
“You do not have to be a senior citizen (over 50) to participate,” Williams said. “We want everybody to go and enjoy good times together!”
The George P. Thames Adult Activity Center offers daily, weekly and monthly activities for adults over the age of 50 at the center, 22651 E. Chicago St., Robertsdale, and at the PZK Hall of Alabama 104.
Other activities include:
• Games are played daily, beginning at 9:30 a.m. on Mondays and Thursdays, 9 a.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the adult activity center.
• Exercise classes are held beginning at 8:30 a.m. every Monday and Thursday at the adult activity center.
• Baldwin County Beekeepers Association meets beginning at 6:45 p.m. the first Monday of every month at the PZK Hall.
• Breakfast/brunch with a mystery guest will be held from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. the second Monday of every month at the adult activity center.
• Craft day will be held from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. the third Monday of every month at the adult activity center.
• Mystery trip followed by lunch will be held the fourth month of the month. Meet at the adult activity center at 10 a.m. On Monday, March 22, lunch will be at the Stagecoach Café in Stockton.
• Meet for lunch at Windcreek the last Monday of the month. Bus departs the adult activity center at 9:30 a.m. Participants are asked to make a bus donation of $5.
• Take Off Pounds Sensibly (T.O.P.S.) holds weekly meetings beginning at 5:30 p.m. every Tuesday at the adult activity center.
• Ballroom dance classes are held beginning at 7 p.m. every Tuesday at the PZK Hall.
• Sit-n-Sew will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. the fourth Tuesday of the month at the adult activity center.
• Master’s Games practice, including shuffleboard, frisbee, Nerf toss and horseshoes, among others, will be held beginning at 9 a.m. every Wednesday at the adult activity center.
• Dance to the music of Southern Star Band beginning at 7 p.m. the first and third Thursday of the month at the PZK Hall.
• Dance classes are held beginning at 7 p.m. the second and fourth Thursday of the month at the PZK Hall.
• Lunch and a movie will be held beginning at noon the third Friday of the month at the adult activity center. Lunch will be served at noon, followed by a movie at 1 p.m.
• Soup kitchen will be held beginning at 11 a.m. the last Friday of the month at the adult activity center.
• The adult activity center offers bus rides to various weekend activities throughout the month. Next up is the 35th annual Heritage Day Festival in Silverhill. Check with the adult activity center for times.
For more information drop by the adult activity center at 22651 E. Chicago St. in Robertsdale to pick up a monthly calendar of activities, call 251-947-8973 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Also check out the Robertsdale Seniors page on Facebook.