Mobile man arrested in Daphne shooting


DAPHNE, Alabama — A Mobile man has been arrested in connection with a shooting Wednesday morning in Daphne.

According to Baldwin County Corrections Facility online records Marcus Jermain Stallworth, 44, of Mobile was booked into the facility at 3:36 a.m. on felony murder charges.

According to a release issued by the Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office, a 911 call was received Wednesday about a person shot at the end of Friendship Road in Daphne.

Medical units and Sheriff’s deputies responded and located Yaphet Hunter, 45, of Chunchula shot. Life saving measures were attempted but unsuccessful. Hunter died at the scene.

Investigators responded to the scene and learned the suspect, Stallworth, left the area in a vehicle with another person. Investigators later located and spoke with the person in the car with Stallworth.

Capt. Clint Cadenhead, chief investigator with the Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office, said Stallworth was picked up without incident by U.S. Marshals at around 1 a.m. Wednesday on East Victory Drive in the Maryvale area of Mobile.

He was transported to the Baldwin County Corrections Facility where he is waiting for a bond hearing.

“We still have some follow up to do on the investigation,” Cadenhead said. “We will have some interviews to do, then we will present our findings to the District Attorney’s Office. The next step will be a preliminary hearing and eventually it will come before a grand jury.”

According to the release, the shooting stemmed from a workplace altercation that took place between Hunter and Stallworth. Both were contract workers at the business.

“We mourn the loss of life that occurred today because of a heinous act committed at Friendship Materials in Daphne, Alabama, by an unaffiliated individual,” Colby Cooper, spokesman for Friendship Materials LLC, said in a statement issued on Wednesday. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victim’s family and those affected by this tragedy.  We are grateful to the medical and law enforcement first responders who worked hard to try and save the victim’s life and those committed to the ongoing investigation.”